[Xotcl] [forwarded] Re: XOTcl, threading and AOLserver ?

From: Gustaf Neumann <Gustaf.Neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:56:09 +0100 (CET)

Zoran> ------Original Message------
Zoran> From: <uwe.zdun_at_uni-essen.de>
Zoran> To: Zoran Vasiljevic <zoran_at_munich.com>
Zoran> Sent: November 14, 2000 4:37:09 PM GMT
Zoran> Subject: Re: XOTcl, threading and AOLserver ?

Zoran> Hi Uwe !

>> So if you like to volunteer to help out, you're invited :)

Zoran> Indeed. The modified src/xotcl.c.mod and src/xotclInt.h.mod
Zoran> are attached. Run diff against 0.82 versions and you will
Zoran> see the changes. There are very few of them (3 - 4), all are
Zoran> marked with /* zv */ comments so it's easy to spot them.

Dear Zoran,

many thanks for your contribution!

Zoran> Basically, the global_objects array is now member of the runtime
Zoran> state so as the errorCount (the only one local static!!).

I see the point for errorCount, but global_objects is only
initalized once and never written. Therefore, it should be safe
to keep it global. Do i miss something?

Zoran> Did test on Solaris 2.5.1 with Purify 4.2 and it seems to work
Zoran> w/o problems. Also, Linux/Suse works fine as well.

Thanks for the Purify test, this is good news (we have no Purify).

Zoran> Hey, I like the idea of putting the runtime state in
Zoran> global NS clientData. This IS a good trick !

we did not have much other options.

Zoran> PLS, check wether this is ok for you. You might include it
Zoran> in the standard distro if you like (I'll appreciate it, so
Zoran> I don't have to patch it for any new version.:)

we are in the process of rolling out 0.83, your
patches should be included in this verison.

Zoran> BTW, new versions...
Zoran> o. do you plan to modularize the xotcl.c? It's grown big!

we have done some first steps, but it will take some more time.

Zoran> o. the 1.0 version: if? when? what functionality planned?

the forthcoming version comes with "inst mixins" which are
similar to per-object mixins, but on the class level. instmixins
make it easy to intercept e.g. the predefined methods of Object.

Zoran> Again, thanks for your nice work. I'm going to attack the
Zoran> problem of copying the interpreter state with xotcl... I'll
Zoran> drop you a note.

Zoran> Cheer's (and tschuess....)
Zoran> Zoran Vasiljevic
Zoran> Munich, Germany.

Your input is very much appreciated
best regards

-gustaf

Zoran> FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Zoran> Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup