[Xotcl] XOTcl Introductory Example

From: <uwe.zdun_at_uni-essen.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:08:29 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

for the XOTcl release 0.83, which is just announced, I've produced a
simple introductory example for our tutorial. Since we have read quite
often the demand for examples in the object-oriented extensions, we
decided to post this example to the mailing list. Hopefully it gives
you an impression of XOTcl without requiring you to read through the
whole tutorial. We hope that it can demonstrate that XOTcl is (a) an
dynamic object-oriented language in the style of Tcl and that XOTcl is
(b) not "just another object-oriented extension."

In fact XOTcl's language constructs explicitly aim at the complexity
in a component glueing layer, that *IS NOT* solved by traditional
object-orientation in the style C++ or Java. The expression power of
the constructs is shown the best, when they work on a lot of classes,
which wrap substantial real-world software components ... this
obviously cannot not be achieved with an introductory example.

However -- for your amusement -- here is the soccer club example with
many comments (you can also find it on
  http://www.xotcl.org/doc/tutorial.html#soccerClub
in html format, which is perhaps more readable):

# This is a simple introductory example for the language XOTcl.
# It demonstrates the basic language constructs on the example of
# a soccer club.

# All the characters in this example are fictitious, and any
# resemblance to actual persons, living or deceased, is coincidental.

# In XOTcl we do not have to provide the above file description
# as a comment, but we can use the _at_ object, which is used generally
# to provide any kind of information, metadata, and documentation on
# a running program. Here, we just give a file description.
# Now makeDoc.xotcl will automatically document this file for us.
_at_ @File {
  description {
    This is a simple introductory example for the language XOTcl.
    It demonstrates the basic language constructs on the example of
    a soccer club.
  }
}

#
# All things and entities in XOTcl are objects, a special kind of objects
# are classes. These define common properties for other objects. For a
# soccer club, we firstly require a common class for all kinds of members.
#
# Common to all members is that they have a name. Common properties defined
# across all instances of a class are called "parameter" in XOTcl.
#
Class ClubMember -parameter {name}

# A special club member is a Player. Derived classes can be build with
# inheritance (specified through 'superclass'). Players may have a
# playerRole (defaults to NONE):
Class Player -superclass ClubMember -parameter {{playerRole NONE}}

# Other club member types are trainers, player-trainers, and presidents
Class Trainer -superclass ClubMember
Class President -superclass ClubMember

# the PlayerTrainer uses multiple inheritances by being both a player
# and a trainer
Class PlayerTrainer -superclass {Player Trainer}

#
# Now we define the SoccerTeam class.
#
Class SoccerTeam -parameter {name location type}

# We may add a player. This is done by a method. Instance methods are
# in XOTcl defined with 'instproc'. All club members are aggregated in
# the team (denoted by :: namespace syntax).
SoccerTeam instproc newPlayer args {
  # we use a unique autoname for the object to prevent name
  # collisions, like <soccerteam>::player01, <soccerteam>::player02, ...
  eval Player [self]::[[self] autoname player%02d] $args
}

# A player can be transfered to another team. The player object does
# not change internally (e.g. the playerRole stays the same). Therefore we
# 'move' it to the destination team.
SoccerTeam instproc transferPlayer {playername destinationTeam} {
  # We use the aggregation introspection option 'children' in order
  # to get all club members
  foreach player [[self] info children] {
    # But we only remove matching playernames of type "Player". We do
    # not want to remove another club member type who has the same
    # name.
    if {[$player istype Player] && [$player name] == $playername} {
      # We simply 'move' the player object to the destination team.
      # Again we use a unique autoname in the new scope
      $player move [set destinationTeam]::[$destinationTeam autoname player%02d]
    }
  }
}

# Finally we define two convenience methods to output the members or players:
SoccerTeam instproc printMembers {} {
  puts "Members of [[self] name]:"
  foreach m [[self] info children] {puts " [$m name]"}
}
SoccerTeam instproc printPlayers {} {
  puts "Players of [[self] name]:"
  foreach m [[self] info children] {
    if {[$m istype Player]} {puts " [$m name]"}
  }
}

# Now let us build two example soccer teams:
SoccerTeam chelsea -name "Chelsea FC" -location "Chelsea"
SoccerTeam bayernMunich -name "F.C. Bayern München" -location "Munich"

# With 'addPlayer' we can create new aggregated player objects
#
# Let us start some years in the past, when "Franz Beckenbauer" was
# still a player.
set fb [bayernMunich newPlayer -name "Franz Beckenbauer" \
  -playerRole PLAYER]

# 'playerRole' may not take any value. It may either be NONE, PLAYER,
# or GOALY ... such rules may be given as assertions (here: an instinvar
# gives an invariant covering all instances of a class). In XOTcl
# the rules are syntactically identical to 'if' statements
Player instinvar {
    {[[self] set playerRole] == "NONE" ||
        [[self] set playerRole] == "PLAYER" ||
        [[self] set playerRole] == "GOALY"}
}

# If we break the invariant and turn assertions checking on, we should
# get an error message:
$fb check all
if {[catch {$fb set playerRole SINGER} errMsg]} {
  puts "CATCHED EXCEPTION: playerRole has either to be NONE, PLAYER, or TRAINER"
  # turn assertion checking off again and reset to PLAYER
  $fb check {}
  $fb set playerRole PLAYER
}

# But soccer players may play quite different, orthogonal
# roles. E.g. Franz Beckenbauer was also a singer (a remarkably bad
# one). However, we can not simply add such orthogonal, extrinsic
# extensions with multiple inheritance or delegation. Otherwise we
# would have either to build a lot of unnecessary helper classes, like
# PlayerSinger, PlayerTrainerSinger, etc., or we would have to build
# such helper objects. This either leads to an unwanted combinatorial
# explosion of class or object number.
#
# Here we can use a per-object mixin, which is a language construct
# that expresses that a class is used as a role or as an extrinsic
# extension to an object.

# First we just define the Singer class.
Class Singer
Singer instproc sing text {
  puts "[[self] name] sings: $text, lala."
}

# Now we register this class as a per-object mixin on the player object:
$fb mixin Singer

# And now Franz Beckenbauer is able to sing:
$fb sing "lali"

# But Franz Beckenbauer has already retired. When a player retires, we
# have an intrinsic change of the classification. He *is* not a player
# anymore. But still he has the same name, is club member, and
# is a singer (brrrrrr).

# Before we perform the class change, we extend the Player class to
# support it. I.e. the playerRole is not valid after class change
# anymore (we unset the instance variable).
Player instproc class args {
  [self] unset playerRole
  next
}

# Now we can re-class the player object to its new class (now Franz
# Beckenbauer is President of Bayern Munich.
$fb class President
# Check that the playerRole isn't there anymore.
if {[catch {$fb set playerRole} errMsg]} {
  puts "CATCHED EXCEPTION: The player role doesn't exist anymore (as it should be after the class change)"
}

# But still Franz Beckenbauer can entertain us with what he believes
# is singing:
$fb sing "lali"

# Now we define some new players for Bayern Munich:
bayernMunich newPlayer -name "Oliver Kahn" -playerRole GOALY
bayernMunich newPlayer -name "Giovanne Elber" -playerRole PLAYER

# if we enlist the players of Munich Franz Beckenbauer is not enlisted
# anymore:
bayernMunich printPlayers

# But as a president he still appears in the list of members:
bayernMunich printMembers

# Now consider an orthogonal extension of a transfer list. Every
# transfer in the system should be notified. But since the transfer
# list is orthogonal to SoccerTeams we do not want to interfere with
# the existing implementation at all. Moreover, the targeted kind of
# extension has also to work on all subclasses of SoccerTeam. Firstly, we
# just create the extension as an ordinary class:
Class TransferObserver
TransferObserver instproc transferPlayer {pname destinationTeam} {
  puts "Player '$pname' is transfered to Team '[$destinationTeam name]'"
  next
}

# Now we can apply the class as a per-class mixin, which functions
# exactly like a per-object mixin, but on all instances of a class and
# its subclasses. The 'next' primitive ensures that the original
# method on 'SoccerTeam' is called after notifying the transfer (with
# puts to stdout)
SoccerTeam instmixin TransferObserver

# If we perform a transfer of one of the players, he is moved to the new
# club and the transfer is reported to the stdout:

bayernMunich transferPlayer "Giovanne Elber" chelsea

# Finally we verify the transfer by printing the players:
chelsea printPlayers
bayernMunich printPlayers

Uwe Zdun
Specification of Software Systems, University of Essen
Phone: +49 201 81 00 332, Fax: +49 201 81 00 398
zdun_at_xotcl.org, uwe.zdun_at_uni-essen.de