[Xotcl] XotclIDE Version 0.22

From: Artur Trzewik <mail_at_xdobry.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:58:05 +0100

Hi!

New Version of XotclIDE is available

http://www.xdobry.de/xotclide

Changes:
1. Support Documentation. Every component, class or method can be commented.
The comments are saved in version control system or as standard _at_ xotclide
tokens. XotclIDE can also read _at_ tokens.
2. Installation Tool for Version Control. A GUI to specify connection
parameter to mysql, installing tables and components in repository.
program - installVC
3. Database connection parameters can be specified in configuration file
.xotclide
4. Another small changes and bug cleaning.

Future development:
I have got some wishes to xotclIDE from another people.
1. Tutorial
2. Tools and documentation: how to convert xotcl project to xotclIDE
3. support for tcl (functions, normal procs)
4. support for xemacs
5. support for cvs

I have also thought about a converter tool itcl2xotcl.
It were nice to convert Iwidgets to xotcl.
Unfortunately itcl have very weak introspection functionality so after some
hours of itcl-learning I have given up.
If some body know the way how to recreate itcl classes from interpreter or
have more itcl know-how please let me now it.

For xotclIDE I plan to build a simple interactive tutorial.
For another extensions (see above) I have no ideas.
My really problem of the future development is debugging.
Unfortunately tcl was designed for short scripts. What I miss is:
1. no access to parse tree.
2. in error case the error stack is discarted. So after error you must restart
the program flow.
3. Interpreter do not support access to internall program flow. The step
function in debugger is not possible.
I have read in tcl news groups that also another people have thought about it.
Perhaps new tcl version can it.
It is too big thing to make it without tcl core team.

have fun
Artur Trzewik