Re: [Xotcl] XoTCL 1.0 on AIX

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:28:29 +0100

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 01:44, Jeff Hobbs wrote:
> > - the choice of ALLOCA is not good vor Visual C/C++ 5.0. Choosing MALLOC
> > seems to be good and should be good for all IBM compilers
>
> No, alloca != malloc. alloca uses stack and auto-frees. alloca should
> also be available on AIX by including either -lc or -lbsd.

 Jeff, let me explain a possible misunderstanding.
 XOTcl needs frequently a variable number of temporary
 objects for the scope of a procedure. The XOTcl implementation
 uses three different approaches to achive this in a timely manner:

   1) use variable sized arrays
   2) use alloc
   3) use malloc

 Since not every c-compiler supports (1) we defined (2) and
 (3) as fallbacks (in this preference order). Per default
 (1) is used, when USE_ALLOCA is defined (2), when USE_MALLOC
 is defined, strategy (3). I think Adrian was refering to the
 choice between (2) and (3).

> > - the compilers were formerly versioned with hex codes now they are with
> > decimal codes which regrettably sabotages any scalar comparison so #if
> > __IBMC__ >= 0x306 won't work. This makes it hard to distinguish between
> > various IBM C compilers. If you insist compare only with = not with > or
>
> <.
>
> Ack, except for compiler bugs, what would want want to care about the
> version of the compiler for?
>
> > - the shared library configuration is not correctly used in the
> > makefiles. see description below
>
> It would probably help if someone upgraded this to TEA2 build system.
> It isn't a big modification, but it does have notable improvements like
> not requiring that the extension be built with the same compiler setup
> as Tcl itself was. This is important on "odd" platforms like AIX, where
> gcc and xlc/cc can greatly disagree.

 this are good news. we are planing to make a patch release with
 a few small patches before christmas available. I won't be able
 to work on the TEA->TEA2 migration over the next weeks, i am not
 sure, whether uwe will be able to do this before christmas...

 in the worst case, this change will not be included in the patch
 release....

 greetings,
 -gustaf