Re: [Xotcl] "tie" command

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:57:19 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

> Certainly, when all references are gone (stringified, only string callbacks
> point to an object) the object will be destroyed.... still, we would
> have the choice btwn traditional objects (that can be used safely
> in callbacks) and refcounted objects, there are many cases,
> where this might be useful ... i my code, i have not experienced
> the problem with unneeded objects (people that grew up with
> Java rather than C might thing differently)

I've actually experienced fewer problems with manual destruction than
I imagined, but I do still stumble across problems every now and then
and in a way it is an extra headache to have to work out the proper
destruction point. I think it is a good idea to do what you're doing with
the refcounts and to have all the facilities there for auto-destruction --
at least for when and if Tcl is ever able to provide a way to be sure
that references last for as long as needed.

                              / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/