Re: [Xotcl] Re: Status of the bugs I reported/could people resend their replies to those bugs

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:56:14 +0200

On Sunday 11 April 2004 07:24, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > well. by using --with-aolserver3 you tell xotcl, that it should build
> > the aolserver 3.* type c module, and you tell it at the same time, where
> > to find the includes. therefor i think --with-aolserver3 is still better.
>
> Well, of course I meant the aolserver prefix :) The includes should be
> right there, in <the-aolserver-prefix>/include. Do you not also need
> the aolserver libs? It's feasible you might in the future.

 ok. as far as i remember, there is no need to use the aolserver lib,
 since the external symbols are resolved against the running binary.
 i have changed this to --with-aolserver3=AOL_SERVER_DIR

> > everything including "make libxotcl1.2.so" should be fine without
> > a tclsh. the "make install-aol" uses a tclsh to load xotcl (for a minor
> > purpose, to rebuild the pkgIndex files). If you comment out
> > the last line of the "libraries:" rule in unix/Makefile,
> > you should be fine.
>
> See though, the whole point is not having to edit anything...

 the suggestion to remove the line was a temporary fix to keep you
 going and certainly not a permanent fix

> Having to
> do so implies C-based clue, which while you could assume it 20 years
> ago, is just not the case among unix-alike users anymore, and note
> carefully that this group especially includes people who want to use
> xotcl.

 we have the same opinion about the goals, no need to argue.

 you have certainy a complex setup, which is not the setup
 of an average user. i have currently on my system 2 tcl
 versions installed and a aolserver4, and i have not seen
 the problems you reported, otherwise i would have fixed it.
 One can only fix problems that you are aware off. your
 comments are very helpful raise this awarensss and
 to improve the system

 -gustaf
--
Univ.Prof. Dr.Gustaf Neumann