Re: [Xotcl] updated patch for xotcl 1.3.3

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:15:31 +0100

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 21:46, Jeff Hobbs wrote:
> I have updated my patch from yesterday. This has been tested
> across a much more elaborate set of platforms. My guess is
> that xotcl has not been compiled against anything but gcc, or
> installed on non-linux systems.

 unfortunately, we de not have a wide range of machines
 available. Our normal testing cycle starts with development
 under linux/gcc, then test under win with visual cc, for most
 releases zoran tests under sun with purify.

> This patch builds and installs on the following variants:
>
> * Windows-x86 (cygwin/MSVC build)
> * Linux-x86 and x86_64 (gcc)
> * HP-UX 11 pa-risc (gcc and cc)
> * HP-UX 11 ia64 (cc)
> * AIX 4.3.3 (xlc)
> * Solaris 2.8 (gcc and cc)

 great. many thanks.

> test-core fails on HP-UX 11 pa-risc with:
>
> FAILED: FAILED - UpLevel Test 2
> Got: ::o
> Expected: ::s
> 0 g='::o' e='::s'
> make: *** [test-core] Error 255

 was this with gcc or cc? Is it possible to get a guest account
 for the hpux machine?

> and on some other platforms it can fail on exit (bad cleanup?),
> but this gets things a lot further.
>
> I don't think the ALLOC checks are being done properly, as I
> said before - there is too much expectation that gcc-isms can
> be the default, which isn't correct, IMO.

 i have changed the logic to use the gcc-ism only when gcc is
 used, and nobody explicitely stated to use alloca or malloc.

> Part of this patch is the for loop break fix in xotcl.c that
> I mentioned in my last message - that seems to have no effect
> on the test-core for the platforms.
>
> It's probably best to just take this patch directly and call
> it xotcl-1.3.4, unless you want to further clean up based on
> my other suggestions (like ALLOC stuff).

 We will do so,
-gustaf
--
Univ.Prof. Dr.Gustaf Neumann
Abteilung für Wirtschaftsinformatik und Neue Medien