Re: [Xotcl] TIP #257: Object Orientation for Tcl

From: Will Duquette <will_at_wjduquette.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:31 -0700

On Sep 26, 2005, at 6:04 PM, Neil Madden wrote:

> Will Duquette wrote:
>
>> The point of [define] is simply that we want to be able to
>> create objects which have a limited set of subcommands. Note
>> that there's a distinct difference between writing an OO-API
>> using a particular OO-framework for other users of that
>> framework, and writing an object-style API for general users,
>> many of whom might not care about the OO-framework at all.
>> In the first case, you want to include all of the OO-framework's
>> bells and whistles, because you expect your users to want to
>> take advantage of them. In the latter case, you want to keep
>> the API simple, clean, and easily documented.
>>

> That's certainly a good goal.
>

>> [define] lets us do both. With [define] "instproc" and its
>> siblings aren't subcommands of our objects--but at the same time,
>> "instproc" and its siblings are available to every user who
>> cares about them.
>>

> OK. The essential thing being done here then is to break down the
> grab-bag of methods defined in Class and Object into a bunch of
> different interfaces, so that clients of an object don't have to
> worry about a bunch of extra "proc" and "filter" etc methods that
> have nothing to do with their problem domain. I can sympathise
> with that. However, I'm not sure [define] is the right solution,
> as it just creates another bag of methods elsewhere (somewhat like
> [info] has become). We could simply change the methods to be class-
> methods of [class] and [object] (i.e. procs that expect an explicit
> self argument, rather than instance-methods). That way by default
> objects don't get lots of public methods that aren't needed by
> clients, but you can still do, e.g.:

Actually, I don't mind [info]. Yes, it's a bag of methods; but it's
nice to have a rug to sweep things under, and it's even nicer to
know *which* rug without having to think too much about it.

My only argument against this notion of yours and in favor of [define]
involves implementing oo::snit on top of oo::. snit::types have
typemethods, and just as I want a clean interface for my objects, I'd
like a clean interface for my types as well.

If we abolished [define] and defined its methods as you describe,
then oo::snit types would no longer have a clean interface. I could
work around that by using an oo::object as a proxy for an underlying
oo::class; I'd give the oo::object a create method that forwarded to
the class, and then make the oo::object forward any user-defined
typemethods as well.

The difficulty here is that an oo::snit::type wouldn't be an oo::class,
then. And that's a problem, because Snit's two big problems are
speed and lack of inheritance. If I'm going to go to the trouble
of reimplementing Snit on top of oo:: I'd like to get both.

Other than that, I could go with your scheme. I kind of like
[define], though. But then, naturally, I would. :-)

Will

> class method myclass someproc {args} { ... }
> object method myobj ...
> object mixin myobj ...
>
> This also somewhat reduces the need for self.method/method (or
> instproc/proc) distinction. Likewise, you could also use it for
> the script-style of define:
>
> class define myclass {
> method foo ...
> method bar ...
> }
>
> where these are interpreted as [class method myclass ...] and not
> [object method myclass ...].
>
> It sort of clashes with previous XOTcl usage, where [class
> instproc] means define an instproc on the object "class", but if we
> change the name to "method" anyway then this is less of an issue.
> You could even leave access to the methods using the form:
>
> myclass class method someproc ...
> myobj object method ...
>
> which leaves only one top-level method in objects (two in classes).
> That seems a bit more OO-y, but I don't know if it really adds much.
>
> -- Neil

        will -at- wjduquette.com | Catch our weblog,
http://foothills.wjduquette.com | The View from the Foothills