Re: [Xotcl] memory leak analysis

From: Zoran Vasiljevic <zv_at_archiware.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:30:35 +0200

Am 30.09.2005 um 20:15 schrieb Jeff Hobbs:

> We have
> a copy that I have used many times. Valgrind comes close,
> finds different things, but I still prefer Purify. Valgrind
> is free though, so there's not excuse not to try that.

Unfortunately (as you already know) ...
Those will not report regular memory usage (C-wise) when
you just expand an array, extend the list, flood the event
loop, forget to destoy objects, etc. pp., indefinitetly.
Hence, I found the Poor Man's Purify ([time] + glancing at
the top display) equaly useful.

What I believe, (under assumption that Ben is using only
Tcl/XOTcl code) is that he's hitting something like the
above. I had those problems en mass until I persuaded
Gustaf to make the "-volatile" mechanism in XOTcl...

Zoran