[Xotcl] Building debug version on Windows

From: Jamie Rasmussen <jrasmuss_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:44:42 -0700

Hello,
   I have a binary installer of AOLserver 4.5 for Win32, and I'd like to
add XOTcl 1.5.2 to it, since I know OpenACS 5.3 will require it. While
running some load tests on the binaries I built I saw a crash in
XOTclAddIMethod. I'm not worried about that crash yet, since I think it
might have been caused by a bad interaction with the nstclprof module.
   But to investigate further, I tried to compile a debug version of
XOTcl, and I've run into some problems. The compiler is Visual Studio
6, and the command line I was using is:
nmake /f Makefile.vc DEBUG=1
   * I am trying to compile against TCL 8.4.14, which was compiled with
the threads and thrdalloc options. The first problem I had was with
the values of TCLIMPLIB and TCLSH in Makefile.vc, which didn't reflect
that the threaded build includes a 't' in the filename before $(DBGX)
for the .lib and tclsh. This applies to
\library\store\XOTclSdbm\Makefile.vc too.
   * The -WX compiler option (error instead of warning) is specified for
DEBUG=1, so compilation aborts because of this warning:
..\generic\xotcl.c(5271) : warning C4018: '==' : signed/unsigned mismatch.
   * I also noticed XOTCL_RELEASE_LEVEL=.0 and not .2 - is that intentional?
Any suggestions? I'm new to XOTcl, but I already like it - thanks.

Jamie