Re: [Xotcl] segmentation faults and bus errors

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:45:07 +0200

Hi Ben,

I am not aware of the symptoms, you are describing. we reload scripts
frequently
espesically in the openacs environment (openacs.org, reloading contents
is part
of the normal develoment cycle). I use it here as well under linux and OS X.

a few qestions:
 - are you sure, that you compile and run with the same tcl version?
   (if you have multiple tcl versions on your system, use --with-tcl
   during configure; i doubt this is the problem in your case, since
   you say, it happens on OS X and Linux, but still worth to check).
 - which Tcl version are you using exactly?
 - are you using tcl (and xotcl) with theads enabled?
 - uses the code threads?
 - uses the code tcl traces? (e.g. via slots through type-checker,
   initcmd, valuechangecmd)

The biggest help would be to distill a short script that shows the bug.
It might also help to determine, where the code exactly dies. Compile
tcl and xotcl with -g and run the script under gdb (call "gdb <yourtclsh>"
and source the xotcl code; when the code dies, send me the output,
and type in "where" and send me this output as well).
One might get a hint, what happend.

-gustaf neumann