Re: [Xotcl] XOTcl packages

From: Jeff Hobbs <jeffh_at_activestate.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 06:48:01 -0700

On 4-Apr-09, at 5:50 AM, Stefan Sobernig wrote:
>> On 03/04/2009 11:24 AM, Victor Mayevski wrote:
>>> I really like that XOTcl is being included with ActiveState
>>> distribution, and even updates via teacup are working. But there is
>>> one issue - why is it that the rest of XOTcl packages (comm,
>>> serializer etc) are not being included?
>> The teapot is designed for individual packages (though they can
>> have dependencies). In building, it goes through the usual
>> configure / make / install steps. XOTcl only packages up the core
>> library when it does that. The other packages would be best
>> handled separately somehow.
>
> Couldn't teacup provide the "--with-all=yes" configure flag so that
> the
> accompanying infrastructure is included?

It's actually at the build level. You would need an equivalent make
all and install all, but it would need to identify the packages
separately for packaging as well. Ideally these would be retrievable
separately in RCS and combined into the meta package via RCS tricks
(possible with almost all RCS systems) or make dist. That way teacup
and other package-oriented providers could work at the package level,
which XOTcl could still have the traditional megapackage for those who
use it.

Jeff