Re: [Xotcl] Very severe limitation in XOTcl

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:40:07 +0200

Am 04.08.10 14:14, schrieb Kristoffer Lawson:
> I think dropping it is a good decision. It'll be interesting to see what the next XOTcl is like.
>
> How much complexity will the new version be adding? The beauty with XOTcl, especially the earlier versions, was that despite the power of it, it was quite simple (unlike C++). Much like Tcl itself: power, but simplicity. I would be concerned if that gets lost along the way.

the new object system as a much smaller interface (half the number of
predefined methods) and the whole system is more orthogonal.

See e.g. the paper at and slides from the last tcl tk conference.
http://nm.wu-wien.ac.at/research/publications/b802.pdf
http://nm.wu-wien.ac.at/research/publications/b806.pdf

you can follow the development via git

     git clone git://alice.wu-wien.ac.at/xotcl 2.0.0-develop
     cd 2.0.0-develop
     git branch 2.0.0-develop origin/2.0.0-develop
     git checkout 2.0.0-develop

all the best
-gustaf neumann

--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Gustaf Neumann
Institute of Information Systems and New Media