Re: [Xotcl] coroutines

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:21:30 +0200

  On 29.09.10 19:58, Victor Mayevski wrote:
> Thank you Gustaf,
>
> Part of my original question, which still stands, was "would it be worth it?"
>
> It seems that the example you provided can be done with XOTcl alone, no need for coroutine. Is there any case where coroutine would actually give some extra power to XOTcl? Forgive me, I am not a C programmer so the concept of NRE or stackless TCL is a little foggy to me.
In general, everything done with coroutines can be computed
as well without it. At the end, coroutines are a question
of style. There is hope that for certain classes of
problems, coroutines help to reduce complexity for the
developer (who has learned how to use coroutines). Typical
application areas are generators (i.e. technically speaking
infinite loops that are suspended after each result, the
generator example) and event driven programs suspending from
time to time their execution. While traditionally event
driven programs require to split up the logic into small
functions (i have to admit to like this), coroutines
facilitate a linear programming style.

Coroutines are certainly an interesting concept. Whether or
not it is "being worth it" can only be estimated by the eye
of the beholder.

-gustaf neumann