[Xotcl] Re: Bug: configure step chooses wrong tclsh [REASONING]

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:01:53 +0200

On Friday 09 April 2004 16:04, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been talking to people on the irc channel, Jeff Hobbs among them,
> about the tclsh issue. Jeff's contention, as far as I understand it, is
> that if tclsh is not used to actually load the extension it's building,
> any tclsh will do, and that the TEA_PROG_TCLSH macro uses a more correct
> ordering to find tclsh: so long as the supplied tclConfig.sh refers to
> its tclsh, that tclsh ought to be found first.

 I was not on the chat, but:

   - Jeffs suggestion was to use the TEA_* macros instead of the
     stuff we use currently. I was not aware of these new TEA macros.
     the sample extension (sampleextension-0.2) in http://www.tcl.tk/doc/tea/
     contains only SC_* macros, and no TEA_ at all. the same is with tcl8.4.6
        find tcl8.4.6 -type f | xargs fgrep TEA_
     On the other hadm it still uses SC_PROG_TCLSH, determined by
        find tcl8.4.6 -type f | xargs fgrep PROG_TCLSH

     By googling around, i found
     http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tcl/sampleextension/configure.in?rev=1.37
     which is quite different from the macros.

     so... i come to think that SC_PROG_TCLSH is currently the way to go,
     but TEA2 will at some time do everything better with new TEA_* macros

  - It is not arbitray, which PROG_TCLSH is used for xotcl:
    Since xotcl depends on some tclInt.h structures, which change from time
    to time, it is highly recommend to use a tclsh, which was compiled with the
    same tclInt.h as the xotcl extension (except you use the xotlc shells, which
    is deprecated). Mixing shells is as well a problem if you use theads e.g.
    for xotcl.

 on my fedora system i have tcl and xotcl in the same directory, configure
 finds the source version and places e.g.
     TCLSH_PROG = /home/neumann/tcl8.4.6/unix/tclsh
 to the Makefile. is this on your system different?

 -gustaf neumann