RE: [Xotcl] xotcllib?

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:42:16 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Schofield, Bryan \(GE Transportation\) wrote:

> xol - Yet another logging framework. But since this is object oriented,
> this package provides some features that are not available in other
> packages. Foremost, the ability to use "Formatter" and "Receiver"
> objects. For example, the following simple line:
> $logger warn "Ack! Foo" could be able to log to file or console,
> package the message up as XML and send it over the network, or even feed
> an RSS stream depending on the formatter & receiver the logger is using.
> So far, I've only written a simple formatter and output channel
> receiver, but this is all possible.

I've been doing some logging using filters, actually. Kind of "separation
of concerns". Methods themselves concentrate on just getting functionality
right, and the filters 'slice in' and do logging.

> xout - a unit testing framework. I know, I know, tcl already provides
> one, tcltest. But I found tcltest to be too cumbersome and clunky. I'd
> write some tests, but maintaining those tests often was neglected
> because of the amount of programming overhead needed to write complex
> test cases. xout (X Out) simplifies unit tests. xout is only a
> framework, so I wrote graphical utility "xam" (think Exam) that puts
> xout to work. It is what I'm using these days to run my unit tests.

This sounds interesting.

> I mention all of this because if other have some handy xotcl packages,
> I'd be interested in creating a formal xotcllib project. Perhaps
> something at sourceforge. I'll be making these available soon either
> way.

I think atm from myself I could mostly offer the caching filter object,
which is already on the Wiki in some form or other, and maybe a couple of
other things if and when I get them ready and am allowed to release them.

Anyway, that all sounds pretty nice.

                               / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/