Re: [Xotcl] Very severe limitation in XOTcl

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:37:01 +0200

Dear Kristoffer and all.

yes, this is a part, where xotcl was criticized for in the past - not
without reason.
The problem is a tribute to invocations to methods with a variable number
of arguments in the dash notation (calling methods with zero to n
arguments)
without knowing the length of the argument list (which is in the general
case not possible in Tcl due to args). For me it is sometimes surprising,
how well it works even for large projects, with several thousand lines
of code and many developers involved. The XOTcl serializer
uses the dash notation as well, but analyses the arguments and adds the
lists
as needed.

Anyhow, the next incarnation of XOTcl, on which we are hard working
right now, has this feature dropped, and provides a much more orthogonal
parameterization for objects and methods. As the new framework
supports multiple object systems in one interpreter, one can use classical
XOTcl and the new object system in parallel.

best regards
-gustaf neumann