Re: [Xotcl] replacing libtcl

From: Jeff Hobbs <jeffh_at_activestate.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:11:45 -0700

On 11/08/2010 10:51 AM, Kevin Van Workum wrote:
> I have an application (TORQUE resource manager) which provides a TCL
> interface to its C library and provides the ability to program its behaviour
> using TCL. Basically it has a C program (pbs_sched) which calls
> Tcl_CreateInterp() and other Tcl library calls, and then runs a TCL script
> which I can write to control its behaviour.
>
> I would like to include XOTcl functionality to my control script, but
> naively using "package require XOTcl" doesn't seem to work. I get "TCL error
> _at_ line 3: can't find package XOTcl". Which I guess indicates you can't do
> that from a standard TCL script.
>
> So, is there a simple way to drop the XOTcl interpretor in place of the
> normal Tcl interpretor? Or just to add XOTcl functionality?

It sounds like you are trying to use libtcl.so (or equivalient) in your
setup. It is possible to make use of extensions if you initialize
everything correctly. It is also possible to build special-purpose DLLs
that can actually include other extensions added, called stardlls. See
http://wiki.tcl.tk/15969 for more. This enhanced setup provides a lot
of flexibility for embedders.

Jeff