[Xotcl] [forwarded] XOTcl, threading and AOLserver ?

From: Gustaf Neumann <Gustaf.Neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:52:55 +0100 (CET)

Hi !

First of all, I'm very excited about XOTcl ! I think
you did an excellent job.

Question 1: do you plan to make (XOTcl) MT-safe ?

Since Tcl8.2, Tcl core is MT-safe, and so should be
the extensions. I can help you out with this, if needed.
I've noticed couple of globals/statics which may have to be
either moved to thread-specific-data or mutex-protected.

Question 2: <read on>

Having nice introspection capabilities built into the
XOTcl, I wonder if one can write a Tcl script which
runs against the initialized interpreter and builds up
a script needed to re-construct all classes and/or object
which it finds there (in the interpreter)?

Why should one need this ?

Well, the AOLserver webserver which we use is a little bit
special. It sources initialization files in startup thread/interp
and then runs a series of scripts to get the interpreter
blue-print. This blue-print (in form of Tcl-code) is then
ran against each newly created interpreter. This is to
simplify and speed-up of new interpreter(s) initialization.
In order to use XOTcl in AOLserver, one should be able to
produce such a script programatically.
For plain Tcl code, this is no big deal. I think XOTcl would
not pose any problem, but nevertheless, it's better to ask.

Any comments ?

Cheer's
Zoran Vasiljevic

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com