[Xotcl] Re: accessibility of current development version

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:08:16 +0200

On Wednesday 06 June 2001 10:27, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2001 21:44, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> > Dear XOTcl community,
> >
> > If you have interest to get access to the current development
> > version of XOTcl (which is exactly 0.85-p1) you can use bitkeeper to
> > get the source tree. Bitkeeper (http://www.bitkeeper.com) is
> > an open source version control system.
>
> Hopla !
> This "BitKeeper" is a commercial product requiring license ?

 license yes, "commercial" in certain cases. bitkeeper has different kind
 of licenses (including a commercial one). It is free for multi-user when
 "open logging" is activated. See below.

 look at the list of projects using bitkeeper, it includes e.g. mysql.
 http://www.bitkeeper.com/v2_logging/desc.html

 the main reason for me to switch from cvs to bitkeeper was that it allows
 renaming of files and directories. I am still somewhat struggling with
 it, but it seems quite a nice product. Larry McVoy (one of the persones
 behind bitkeeper) wrote some time ago about a distributed
 source code management system, which certainly influenced bitkeeper...
 http://www.bitmover.com/lm/papers/smoosh.ps

 -gustaf

PS: i have no personal interest in bk, nobody is forced to use bitkeeper,
 it is just an easy way to access our development verison. we will continue
 to distribute tar files as well.

bk licensing(1) BitKeeper User's Manual bk licensing(1)

NAME
       bk licensing - BitKeeper Licensing Overview

DESCRIPTION
       This section briefly explains the licensing models. See
       the references for more detailed information.

       BitKeeper has multiple licensing models:

       =>free with no Open Logging (aka single user), license
       is the BKL.
       =>free with Open Logging, license is the BKL.
       =>commercial, license is the BKCL.

FREE USE WITH NO LOGGING
       BitKeeper can be used for free, without licensing or Open
       Logging, if the repository is single user. To create a
       single user repository, at setup time pick a permanent
       user name and a host name and add to the Bit-
       Keeper/etc/config file; all deltas will appear to be made
       by this user.

       The lines in the config file must look like this:

           single_user:<user_name>
           single_host:<host_name>

       The <user_name> and <host_name> can be anything, but once
       they have been chosen they cannot be changed. If changed
       the repository will be seen as a multiple user repository
       by BitKeeper and will either need a license key or will
       need to participate in Open Logging.

       To change a single user repository to a multiple user
       repository see bk multiuser.

   WARNING
       Single user repositories only work on repositories that
       have less than 1000 files. If the maximum is reached, the
       repository will not allow any more changesets to occur.
       To use the repository again, the repository must be setup
       for openlogging or a commercial license must be purchased.

       Once a repository is changed from a single user to multi-
       ple user repository it can not be changed to a single user
       repository again. Once a multiple user repository it must
       be setup for openlogging or a commercial license must be
       purchased.

       If you are looking for the BitKeeper License for free use
       (BKL), see bk help bkl.

FREE USE WITH LOGGING
       BitKeeper may be used for free, without any functionality
       loss or other restrictions, if Open Logging is used.

       To setup openlogging, add the following line to the config
       file:

           logging:logging_at_openlogging.org

COMMERCIAL USE
       The use of BitKeeper without Open Logging enabled requires
       a commercial license key. You can get a temporary license
       by sending a mail request to bk_license_at_bitmover.com.

       Once the license key is obtained, add a line to the Bit-
       Keeper/etc/config file that looks like:

           license: <license key>

SEE ALSO
       bk help bkl