Re: [Xotcl] AOP and XOtcl

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:26:17 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Uwe Zdun wrote:

> in the forthcoming XOTcl release will be several new filter features ... I've
> already reported on the obj-filters. Another feature we have ready are
> "filter guards". A filter guard is a condition whether a filter will be
> executed or not. It is registration-centric, thus you can append the
> conditions to the filter registration, example:
>
> A instfilter {filter-1 {filter-2 {[self calledclass] == "::FigureElement"}}}

I wonder if it would make sense to allow filters to be objects? In that
way filters could become semi-independent entities that can used
in various different places by attaching them to other objects, and
filtering specific methods. In that way they might more closely follow the
direction taken by AOP concepts. Or would mixins be better for this kind
of design?

Haven't given it much thought. I'm just rambling :-)

         | / Kristoffer Lawson | www.fishpool.fi|.com
         +-> | setok_at_fishpool.com | - - --+------
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - / |