[Xotcl] Re: xotcl and itcl ...

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:24:42 +0100

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 23:46, Jeff Hobbs wrote:
> I was intrigued by the recent posting about an itcl emulation
> using xotcl. How much work would it be to get a 100% emulation
> of itcl in xotcl? After all, there is tcl++, that was a pure
> Tcl emulation of itcl (that was 99.9% IIRC).

 Jeff,

 This is certainly do-able, especially for well structured
 programs, but should be done by a person with
 a reasonable itcl knowledge and a real-world test base.
 We can certainly help in such a project.
 in genereal i see two kinds of issues to be adressed

   - some ideosyncaries of itcl, which can be easy
     emulated by procs (e.g. the auto nameing convention
     of itcl), but this would slow down the code.

   - the apporach of http://mini.net/tcl/10975
     works fine for well-structured itcl programs
     (calls along the class chain are in the right
     order, calls do not jump out of the class chain,
     etc.); when these should be supported, we
     have to look for a good approach.

 Btw., the code in http://mini.net/tcl/10975
 can be further improved by replacing the
 redirector procs by interp aliases. this
 speeds up the objinst benchmark by
 further 4-5 percents...

 -gustaf
--