Re: [Xotcl] build problem on solaris

From: Aamer Akhter <aakhter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:43:46 -0400

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:18:23 -0400, Schofield, Bryan (GE
Transportation) <bryan.schofield_at_trans.ge.com> wrote:
> I had that problem at as well. I didn't care to make xowish or xotclsh, I ended up commenting portions of the make file out to get it to work. Specifically, I commented out "binaries", "install", and part of "libraries" target.

after staring it at it with several people it looks like the problem
is a bash parsing one for this piece of code:

 dir in $(subdirs) ; do \

the problem is that if $(subdirs) is "" then bash will try to parse
"dir in; do " , which is of course wrong. the if statement doens't
actually protect you from this (it's a parsing problem, not an
execution time one)

so i just changed $(subdirs) to ". $(subdir)" and that seems to make
bash happy-- it's not going to run it anyway.

> I don't mean to speak for Gustaf, but maybe give this version a try:
> http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/xotcl-1.2.1.tar.gz
>
> I don't think it's quite ready for primetime, since Gustaf & Co. are adding a few enhancements. But I think all that remains is documentation. I've been using it & testing out the new features for a about 2 months and consider it stable. That version also has a better build & configuration system and compiles with out complaint fine for me (which is the only reason I'm mentioning it, it was a painful to get the last publicly released version to compile on Solaris). I'm sure the XOTcl guys will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I noticed you posted a question on the IncrTcl mailing list earlier today about "unknown" handlers. I think you'll find that XOTcl's unknown handler is fantastic. I've used IncrTcl extensively, but over the last 6 months or so I've began using XOTcl instead. I now prefer XOTcl greatly to IncrTcl. After using it, I feel so constrained with IncrTcl by having to fully define my classes, and thus my object behavior, a head of time. The flexibility of XOTcl is phenomenal.

I agree. I went thru the manual last night, and was quite impressed
with options and features avaliable. It really is a shame that xotcl
isn't more widely distributed. One thing that popped into my mind was
how to do private variables and methods (i think this can be done via
the filters, but i haven't exactly figured them out yet)

Thank-you to the developers for maintianing xotcl.