Re: [Xotcl] XOTcl 1.3.0 available

From: Jim Lynch <jim_at_jam.sessionsnet.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:59:15 -0700

Hi.

I'm Jim Lynch, and I have started making improvements to the configure/
build process for xotcl. As Gustaf mentions in his letter, my work is
incorporated into xotcl-1.3.0, mostly in the files called configure.in
and Makefile.in.

Executive summary: Big immprovement; not finished. Separate build dirs
do not work yet. xotclConfig.sh gets installed in $libdir; please read
it, especially if you are an embedder or similar. Lots more work to do,
but it works for most cases when you build in the source tree root.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:44:02 +0200
Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

> Dear XOTcl Community,
>
> i am proud to announce the availability of XOTcl 1.3.0.
> Major changes relative to 1.2.0 are:
>
> - Qualitative Improvements
> * Improved portability:
> + TEA3 compatible build
> + Much more polished configure+makefile (many thanks to
> Jim Lynch for his help)

[snip]

> Best regards,
>
> Gustaf Neumann
> Uwe Zdun

Thank you :)

But I still have things to do and things to ask for, which I will:
some now, some later :)

I have to learn how to make separate build dirs work, or what the
prevailing standard is, and make that work, so that people can do

  mkdir build
  cd build
  ../configure --with-all
  make
  make install
  (read the xotclConfig.sh to see which tcl has the package installed)
  (run the shell from that tcl)
  % package require XOTcl

and have the shell load xotcl. Added complication is there are several
nested build trees; the configure and build steps work for this except
when trying to use a separate build dir.

I would like to ask embedders of xotcl, if there is a chance you'd be
able to use a tclsh where you do the package require of xotcl and
other packages you need, rather than use xotclsh and xowish... it's
been suggested that this might be the more portable approach, but
I want to ask all of the embedders first before I ask Gustaf whether
it'd be ok to deprecate them in favor of having the embedders prepare
a plain tclsh.

Also to embedders!! The file xotclConfig.sh is now installed, and
has -relevent- information about where the install of xotcl is!
I ask you to please read this file; it gets installed in $libdir.
In addition, this file only covers posix shells, not csh. Any
csh-using embedders here? If so, I'll figure out how to deshellify
this script; all it does is set some variables in the environment.

There will be a lot more later... but this is enough for now :)

Comments please :)

-Jim

--
Jam sessions community web site: http://jam.sessionsnet.org