RE: [Xotcl] xotcllib?

From: Schofield, Bryan \(GE Transportation\) <"Schofield,>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:48:57 -0400

Ack! What a shame. I've been working on six utility packages that are very close to being ready for public consumption. I'm just waiting on 1.3.3 to make sure everything works well with the finalized namespace scoping implementation. It has all been written against the 1.3 feature set. So far I have the following packages:

xow - A megawidget framework. This is a package that allows xotcl objects to be megawidgets.

xol - Yet another logging framework. But since this is object oriented, this package provides some features that are not available in other packages. Foremost, the ability to use "Formatter" and "Receiver" objects. For example, the following simple line:
  $logger warn "Ack! Foo"
could be able to log to file or console, package the message up as XML and send it over the network, or even feed an RSS stream depending on the formatter & receiver the logger is using. So far, I've only written a simple formatter and output channel receiver, but this is all possible.

xtend - a collection of "singleton" objects that extends the basic functionality of tcl, tk, and xotcl. This package provides various string, list, tk, and xotcl utilities.

xact - an "action" framework package. If you are not familiar with the "action" concept in ui programming, it is a very powerful tool that simplifies programming chores. wiki.tcl.tk has some information available. This package can also be used in a non-tk environment.

xcentuate - a theme engine for tk. This isn't all that important on windows, but on unix tk often needs a little help looking good. This package provides a very simple method of defining and changing the look of tk apps. It can even do it on the fly.

xout - a unit testing framework. I know, I know, tcl already provides one, tcltest. But I found tcltest to be too cumbersome and clunky. I'd write some tests, but maintaining those tests often was neglected because of the amount of programming overhead needed to write complex test cases. xout (X Out) simplifies unit tests. xout is only a framework, so I wrote graphical utility "xam" (think Exam) that puts xout to work. It is what I'm using these days to run my unit tests.

I mention all of this because if other have some handy xotcl packages, I'd be interested in creating a formal xotcllib project. Perhaps something at sourceforge. I'll be making these available soon either way.

-- bryan