Re: [Xotcl] Re: XOTcl is great!!

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:02:48 +0300

On 5 Sep 2005, at 12:14, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

>> (3) Is there any way to represent relationship across two classes?
>> For example, Class A is related to Class B with one-to-many
>> relationship.
>>

> a few class/class relations and object/class relations are
> maintained by xotcl (e.g. superclass,
> class, mixins). A start point might be ::xotcl::Relations, which
> is used to implement a
> uniform interface to mixins (and instmixins ...), which allows to
> specify "... mixin add ...", #
> "... mixin delete ...", "... mixin set ...", etc. In principle,
> the same interface could be used
> for application level relations as well...
>
> In current applications, the classes use and maintain a list of
> related object/classes.
> Often, it is conveniant to use aggregations to express 1:1 or 1:n
> relationships.

I was thinking about using packages to collect classes together. The
problem with this is that classes are not automatically searched for
in the same package. That is if Class A depends on Class B (A is B's
sub-class), B needs to be read in before A is read. In Java it is
enough that they are in the same package, they'll be found. With
XOTcl you need to build a kind of stub file that represents the
package and which then sources in all the other necessary files in
the required order.

Whether this helps or not, I don't know...

            / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/