Re: [Xotcl] TIP #257: Object Orientation for Tcl

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:36:16 +0300

On 26 Sep 2005, at 22:50, Neil Madden wrote:

> Jeff Hobbs wrote:
>
>> I know that many on this list will be interested in the
>> following TIP just propsed:
>> TIP #257: Object Orientation for Tcl
>> http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/257
>> This is indeed based on xotcl, but it is *not* xotcl. There
>> are good reasons for this overall (but not necessarily for
>> each individual change ;) ). I would like xotcl users who
>> are interested to please read this TIP carefully, but to
>> bear a few items in mind:
>>

> I feel slightly uneasy that debate about this TIP is occurring here
> and on the wiki, and yet notification of its existence hasn't even
> reached tcl-core yet. I have written some fairly substantial notes
> on the TIP at http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~nem/newoo.txt . These notes
> were supposed to be a post to tcl-core, but I don't want to further
> pre-empt the TIP publication.

Read through these commands. I probably agree on some points and
disagree on others. I agree that the rationale behind [define] is
fuzzy. I find the XOTcl model OK in that respect, but I don't have
anything much against the TIP proposal either, and I do think it is a
neat way of adding many methods in one go. Having syntax which
attaches them to one another.

Oh, one area that the TIP does not discuss is that of extension via
C. I would like to see a clean interface for creating classes, sub-
classes and methods in C, if at all possible. Methods, in particular,
would benefit from this as one could then begin to optimise critical
parts of the code as it develops.

            / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/