XOTcl/NX mailing list by object move?

From: Koen Danckaert <koen_at_retarget.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:13:16 +0100

>>> I have added "::xotcl::mymethod" and "::xotcl::myvar" to my
>>> development version. i guess, you would you prefer to have
>>> these exported. Opinions?
>>
>> On giving it some thought I think I actually prefer the version that
>> would be part of Object. After all, it is that object's variable that
>> we want.

Well, in any case we're not adding new functionality here, we're just adding convenience procedures to write callbacks in a more concise and readable way. I believe this is best achieved by having 2 short and concise keywords. In my code, "myproc foo" (vs "my foo") indicates clearly that I'm not actually calling foo, just referring to it. This distinction would be less clear with "my callback foo".

So indeed, if these keywords would be predefined in xotcl, I would prefer to have them exported, otherwise they'd not be short and concise either :-)

>> I don't use it that frequently so I don't mind writing a bit
>> extra, for clarity's sake.

I use it quite often. It's a very common construct in Tk and event-based scripts, I think. I've even customized my editor to highlight "myproc" and "myvar", such that they spring out immediately.

Koen