XOTcl/NX mailing list by object move?

From: Scott Gargash <scottg_at_atc.creative.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:20:26 -0700

xotcl-bounces_at_alice.wu-wien.ac.at wrote on 03/21/2006 02:28:15 AM:

> i do not like the &-suggestions for the xotcl-core, since it looks
> like an operator, not like a name. The &-operator is not
> about fully qualifying a name, but about providing a reference
> in general.

What's the difference (in tcl) between a name and an operator or a name and a reference?

I'm not being sarcastic, you're making a distinction I don't see. The problem here is needing an
external reference to an XOTcl member. In Tcl, that means you need the name of the variable.

> i get the impression that adding these cmds/methods do not reduce
> significantly the clarity. myvar/myvarname makes sense for the
> snitters.

While that may be true for an experienced user, as a new user trying to use XOTcl I find the way
XOTcl uses namespaces (created on demand) to be pretty confusing. Anything that keeps me from
needing to understand that is a good thing. And leaving aside the new user issue, having a
documented access mechanism for clients instead of knowledge of the implementation seems like a good
thing.

Just my opinion.

      Scott