Re: [Xotcl] Precedence Order

From: Uwe Zdun <uwe.zdun_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:20:16 +0200

well, why do you think the behavior breaks encapsulation? Rather a
behavior where mixin are not added in precedence before the class
hierarchy, requires you to know about the interceptor and might break
encapsulation. Consider you are omitting to use "next" in a method of
Derived, for instance simply because this method exists nowhere else in
the class hierarchy. If the mixin would be introduced after Derived, you
would need to modify Derived to introduce a method of the same name on
the mixin. If the mixin is always before the class hierarchy, as a base
hierarchy developer you don't need to care for how a potential mixin is
designed, because you can be sure once a call has reached your class,
you can be sure, you cannot accidently introduce side-effects on mixins
(maybe designed later by other developers).