[Xotcl] Fwd: Re: Calling object

From: Mark Strembeck <mark.strembeck_at_wu.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:41:39 +0200

... didn't add xotcl_at_alice to the receiver's list

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von mark.strembeck_at_wu.ac.at -----
      Datum: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:38:18 +0200
        Von: Mark Strembeck <mark.strembeck_at_wu.ac.at>
Antwort an: Mark Strembeck <mark.strembeck_at_wu.ac.at>
    Betreff: Re: [Xotcl] Calling object
         An: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_scred.com>
         Cc: mark.strembeck_at_wu.ac.at

Hi Kristoffer,

Zitat von Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>:

>> The reason I want to do this is that I have an access control
>> system which calls something like [checkPermissions].
>> [checkPermissions] should just return and do nothing if the
>> original calling object is equal to [self]. Now I end up having to
>> passs [checkPermissions] a parameter with [self callingobject].
>>
> I am somewhat confused by your terminology. If you are looking for
> access control management, look for example at xoRBAC, which follows
> the role based access control model, standardized by the NIST
> http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at:8002/home/mark/xoRBAC/index.html

> idea, which subject (individual, user) is allowed to execute which operations
> (pred)on which objects.

    From your e-mails i understand that you are looking for some
feature/mechanism
    to control the accessability of methods in a class hierarchy (public,
    protected, private). In this case, xoRBAC is not the tool for you.

    xoRBAC is a component providing an access control service following the
    role-based access control paradigm. While xoRBAC's concepts and general
    functionality are still valid and "up to date", most of the xoRBAC source
    code was written in 1999 (using xotcl 0.85 i guess). Therefore, i'm
    planning to re-implement the xoRBAC source using some of the xotcl feature
    that were added since these early days and my (significantly) increased
    knowledge of software development :) ... however, although i'm
planning this
    re-implementation for some time now, i simply didn't find the time
to actually
    do it yet ... maybe this summer.

    ... just for your information.

    best regards,