Re: [Xotcl] Sqlite command inside NX object

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:19:45 +0200

Dear Victor,

The confusion is in part due to the fact, that mysql uses the tcl idiom
"eval" and varnames looking like tcl varnames, but it provides its
semantics with its own machinery. One can use

   db1 eval {insert into mytable values ($data)}

but one cannot use syntactically e.g.

   db1 eval {insert into mytable values (${data})}

since the sqlite sql parser does not know about braced var-names, and the
"eval" after "db1" is no "eval" in the Tcl sense.

I would recommend to let sqlite create its own objects, and address
these with their full path.

    sqlite3 ::db1 /tmp/my.db
    ::db1 eval {create table mytable (data)}

    Object create o
    o public method insert {data} {::db1 eval {insert into mytable values ($data)} }

In case, you need/want databases per object/class, you can certainly use
[self] inside the database handle. This is essentially the same what you
found out.

-gustaf neumann

--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Gustaf Neumann
Institute of Information Systems and New Media