Re: [Xotcl] NX ???

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 11:44:53 +0200

On 23.10.11 11:11, Luc Rasson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for that stupid question but what is NX ? I know what is XOTcl about (that's why I'm on the so called mailing list ;-) but nothing about NX, and I've made some searchs on the web and nothing at all :-( So please don't let me in the dark ;-)
NX is a descendant of XOTcl. To be more precise XOTcl 2 is
based on a new Tcl package, called "Next Scripting
Framework", and XOTcl 2 and NX are purely scripted object
systems. We will present the Framework and NX at the Tcl
conference next week in Virginia:

http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2011/schedule.html
> Oh by the way I have few more questions:
> - is it possible to call some functions written in tcl/xotcl from python ?

Tkinter.Tcl()| seems to support this.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2519532/example-for-accessing-tcl-functions-from-python

> I'm using a lot some great tools (such WikiPad which is simply excellent, try it you will see ! ;-) that can be extended but I'm not sure I want to spend too much time to learn a new language ...
> - is there some functions in tcl/xotcl to encode/decode urls ? I don't find such tools in unix what is (for me) obvious (it seems that's possible in perl for example but I dislike perl ;-)
There are multiple implementations for this. For example,
aolserver/naviserver provide c-based implementations, but
these are part of the http server c code base. For a simple,
tcl based implementation, see e.g.:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/14144
> - long time ago I have been talking about the RETE algorithm that is used for example in CLIPS ... My question was about "is there such a thing in tcl/xotcl". Gustaf told me "write it by yourself" ;-) but after a lot of search I didn't find the algorithm itself ... Any issues about that ? (google if you don't know what I'm talking about ... I think that for some applications the Rete is simply genious) ... I know that it what ported in some languages for example java, but what about tcl/xotcl ?
Franz Wirl did some work on that. I'll poke him about this.

best regards
-gustaf neumann

PS: The posting about the "NX memory leak" of yesterday was
from a spammer, reusing a posting of a few months ago and
appending SPAM to it. Sigh.