Re: [Xotcl] Sense or non-sense of version-numbers.

From: Uwe Zdun <uwe.zdun_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:42:19 +0100

Just one more comment: if you run Xotcl from its local directory (where
you've compiled it), the auto_path points first to the local xotcl directory
(containing patchlevels).

In any other case, it points only to the installation directories; here, there
is no patchlevel in xotcl's lib directory name (due to Tcl compatibility; Tcl
does not install with the patchlevel).

--uwe

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 16:37, Adrian Wallaschek wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I do like version numbers, but there is a "too much" in everything.
>
> What is the deeper benefit of having the version number for xotcl
> recursively even inside the source-tree?
>
> What actually happens for me is that now I seem to have problems building
> the code because in 1.0.1
> When running xotcl-1.0.1/xotclsh I do find ..../xotcl-1.0 in the auto_path
> instead of the required/expected .../xotcl-1.0.1.
>
> I haven't yet found out where it goes wrong but it looks like the $VERSION
> doesn't use the revision counter in some Makefile.
>
> The question is: why all this fuzz?
>
> Didn't anybody else see this occurring, did I mess up anything?
>

> Regards,
> Adrian Wallaschek
>
> "Just when you think, life can't possible get worse,
> it suddenly does!"
> The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - Douglas Adams

Uwe Zdun
Department of Information Systems, Vienna University of Economics
Phone: +43 1 313 36 4796, Fax: +43 1 313 36 746
zdun_at_{xotcl,computer,acm}.org, uwe.zdun_at_wu-wien.ac.at