Re: [Xotcl] "tie" command

From: Kristoffer Lawson <setok_at_fishpool.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:17:59 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Gustaf Neumann wrote:

> =====================
> where one can use it like:
> =====================
> Client instproc read {} {
> my instvar reader
> my objectref msg
> set msg [$reader getMessage]
> }
> ====================
> or combined to what the tie did before... this leads to some variable-declarations,
> where we could also define parameters as references....

I think that would work very nicely with [tie]. I'm not sure about object
reference counts, though. While the object destruction with [tie] can
be thought of as a link to a variable (ie. the variable could be declared
to do that) but I see auto-destruction of an object when refs are lost
to be an attribute of the object, not of the variable which it is assigned
to. I mean, with ref counting, that variable could easily disappear, but
the object would still exist if there are references.

                              / http://www.fishpool.com/~setok/