Re: [Xotcl] XOTcl 1.3.0 available

From: Gustaf Neumann <neumann_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:36:40 +0200

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 16:17, Kristoffer Lawson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> > * Nonpositional arguments for xotcl procs/instprocs; this is
> > a flexible way to check arguments, to provide defaults etc
> > for every xotcl proc/instproc. It uses a similar syntax as
> > ad_proc and ad_page_contract in OACS. See the tutorial for
> > more details.
>
> Interesting... I wonder if something like that could be TIPped into
> Tcl itself?

 sure, it can. It can be implemented as well fully in Tcl,
 as done in ad_proc (or ad_page_contract) in Open ACS.
 Uwe implemented a fast c-based version, borrowing the syntax
 from OACS.

> What about if I don't define any nonpositional arguments,
> can I pass arguments beginning with a dash? I kind of hope so, or
> otherwise it may be necessary to pass "--" everywhere, and it adds
> incompatibility with older XOTcls.

 one can define procs/instprocs with non-positional arguments
 and without. If you have nonposistional arguments defined, and
 you want to pass e.g. -a as "traditional" argument, you must use "--".

 Since existing scripts have no nonpositional arguments defined,
 nothing changed there, older scripts continue to work unmodified.

 -gustaf